List of Car Insurance Companies
The United States auto insurance industry is huge. With around 2,000 different companies vying for your trade, there’s usually a better deal just around the corner.
When looking at a list of car insurance providers, you should be aware that different states have different insurance companies and some companies may operate under a different name.
As such, the best value companies vary from state to state.
- AAA’s Californian subsidiary finished mid-table in the J.D. Power Study.
- A.M. Best awarded AAA a rating of “superior.”
- Driver safety by AAA can reduce your premium.
- AAA Auto Insurance Full Review
1000 AAA Drive
Heathrow, FL 32746
- Allstate scored low in the J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction Study and was rated second to last.
- Allstate was awarded a financial strength rating of “Aa3” by Moody’s.
- Allstate was named one of the World’s Most Ethical Companies® for four years running by the Ethisphere Institute.
- Allstate Auto Insurance Full Review
Allstate Insurance Corporate Headquarters
2775 Sanders Road
Northbrook, IL 60062
- American Family finished 3rd on the J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction Study.
- American Family has a 1.85 percent market share for direct premiums written in the United States and its territories.
- A.M. Best awarded American Family a financial strength rating of “A.”
6000 American Parkway
Madison, WI 53783
- Amica was rated one of the best insurance companies in the J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction Study.
- Amica is a relatively small insurer, with a 0.56 percent U.S. market share.
- A. M. Best awarded Amica the financial strength rating of “A+” (Superior).
- Amica Auto Insurance Full Review
100 Amica Way
Lincoln, RI 02865
- Erie finished 1st in the J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction Study.
- Erie’s direct premiums written make up 1.17 percent of the United States and its territories’ market share.
- Erie Insurance is ranked number 378 on the 2018 Fortune 500® list.
- Erie Auto Insurance Full Review
100 Erie Insurance Place
Erie, PA 16530
- Esurance was one of the lowest-ranked companies in the J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction Study.
- The company won an award for Fuelcaster™, an online tool that predicts changes in gas prices.
- Esurance offers the DriveSense® mobile app which monitors how you drive and adjusts your premium accordingly.
- Esurance Auto Insurance Full Review
650 Davis St
San Francisco, CA 94111
- Farmers finished mid-table in the J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction Study.
- A.M. Best awarded Farmers a financial strength rating of “excellent.”
- The insurer has a fleet of Mobile Claims Centers to process claims on-site.
- Farmers Auto Insurance Full Review
4680 Wilshire Blvd
Los Angeles, CA 90010
- Geico’s parent company, Berkshire Hathaway, has a 12.12 percent share of written premiums in the market.
- Moody’s Investors Service rated Geico “Aa1,” its second-highest accolade.
- Geico won a Patriot Award for its Veteran’s IT Development Program.
- Geico Auto Insurance Full Review
5260 Western Avenue
Chevy Chase, MD 20815
- The Hartford was ranked in the top-third of providers on the J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction Study.
- The company owns 1.25 percent of direct premiums written in the United States and its territories.
- The Hartford offers the only national auto insurance program endorsed by AARP.
- The Hartford Auto Insurance Full Review
One Tower Square
Hartford, CT 06183
- Liberty Mutual is ranked fairly low among insurance providers according to J.D. Power.
- The company owns 4.8 percent of direct premiums written across the U.S and its territories.
- A.M. Best awarded a financial strength rating of “A” to Liberty Mutual.
- Liberty Mutual Auto Insurance Full Review
75 Berkeley Street
Boston, MA 02116
- Mercury was ranked last on the J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction Study.
- Mercury has a 1.13 percent market share (direct premiums written) across the United States and its territories.
- Forbes named the insurer one of America’s Most Trustworthy Financial Companies.
- Mercury Auto Insurance Full Review
4484 Wilshire Boulevard
Los Angeles, CA 90010
- The insurance provider was placed toward the bottom in the J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction Study.
- Standard & Poor’s gave MetLife an “A+” credit rating for financial stability.
- MetLife was recognized as one of Reader’s Digest’s Most Trusted Brands.
- MetLife Auto Insurance Full Review
200 Park Avenue
New York City, NY 10166
- Metromile received an “excellent” rating by A.M. Best.
- The Better Business Bureau awarded Metromile an “A+” in responding to customers’ queries and complaints.
- Metromile offers pay-per-mile car insurance.
Suite 200, 690 Folsom Street
San Francisco, CA 94107
- The insurer has 3.9 percent of the United States and territories’ market share (direct premiums written).
- Standard & Poor’s rated Nationwide an “A+” in financial health.
- Nationwide offers a Vanishing Deductible program which gradually reduces the deductible if drivers keep a good driving record.
- Nationwide Auto Insurance Full Review
One Nationwide Plaza
Columbus, OH 43215
- Progressive performed all-around average in the J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction Study.
- Progressive has a 9.84 percent share of direct premiums written throughout the United States and its territories.
- Moody’s Investors Service rated Progressive “A1,” meaning it’s financially stable.
- Progressive Auto Insurance Full Review
The Progressive Corporation
6300 Wilson Mills Road
Mayfield Village, OH 44143
- State Farm has an 18.35% share in the insurance market (the largest of any company).
- A.M. Best awarded State Farm an “AA+” rating.
- With 18,000 agents nationwide, State Farm provides face-to-face service.
- State Farm Auto Insurance Full Review
1 State Farm Plaza
Bloomington, IL 61701
- Travelers is one of the lowest-rated insurance providers on the J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction Study.
- Travelers has a 1.87 percent of the direct premiums written insurance market share.
- Travelers has held a spot on the World’s Most Admired Company list in Fortune from 2006-2018.
- Travelers Auto Insurance Full Review
485 Lexington Ave 10th Fl
New York, NY 10017
- USAA finished 2nd in the J.D. Power Claims Satisfaction Study.
- USAA serves military personnel and has a 5.04 percent market share of direct premiums written.
- USAA was named a winner in the World’s Most Ethical Companies® (2016-2017).
- USAA Auto Insurance Full Review
9800 Fredericksburg Road
San Antonio, TX 78288
This list of car insurance companies should act as the ideal starting point for finding your new provider. The next step is deciding your required level of coverage.
When you have decided on your company and your level of coverage, you can click here to compare quotes.