Pet Insurance in New Jersey
There are plenty of options for pet insurance, we’ve gathered details about companies who offer the best pet insurance for your furry family members in New Jersey.
When preparing this article, we took the time to evaluate more than 30 pet insurance agencies.
You may wonder, is pet insurance in NJ worth it?
We looked at the coverage, cost, and customer service offered by each, and then narrowed it down to the five companies that provide the best pet insurance in New Jersey.
Best Pet Insurance in New Jersey
Here are the top 5 companies that offer the best pet insurance in NJ:
- Petplan: Best Overall Pet Insurance in NJ
- PetFirst: Best for Customer Service
- Trupanion: Best for Strong Customer Reviews
- Hartville: Best for Low Starting Rates
Petplan Pet Insurance
Petplan has an A+ rating from the Better Business Bureau, which goes hand in hand with the company’s reputation for providing excellent customer service.
Policies are available for dogs and cats aged six weeks and older, covering a large range of conditions and treatments.
Starting rates are well below the national average of $44.66 for dogs and $27.93 for cats on a comprehensive plan, and claims are typically processed in under ten business days.
|Monthly Costs||Starts at $29.16 for dogs and $18.19 for cats|
|Coverage||70 percent to 90 percent reimbursement after deductible|
|Payout Limits||$2,500 to unlimited depending on the plan|
|Deductible||Ranges from $250 to $1,000 annually depending on the plan|
PetFirst Pet Insurance
PetFirst is also known for its excellent customer service, which is backed by an A+ rating from the BBB.
Plans are available to both cats and dogs starting at eight weeks and have no upper age restriction.
PetFirst goes above and beyond many of its competitors by offering a senior-specific plan.
Starting rates are below national averages.
Claims can be submitted in several ways, including online, and are paid out within ten days of processing.
|Monthly Costs||Starts at $16.95 for dogs and $8.95 for cats|
|Coverage||Ranges from 70 percent to 90 percent depending on the plan|
|Payout Limits||$5,000, $10,000, or $20,000 annually depending on the plan|
|Deductible||Ranges from $50 to $500 per incident|
Trupanion Pet Insurance
Trupanion’s A+ BBB rating and an extensive collection of positive customer reviews indicate high levels of customer satisfaction.
Although rates are slightly above national averages, the coverage included with New Jersey’s Trupanion’s pet insurance plans is ample and well worth the price.
Customers have the option of purchasing supplemental coverage on top of their policy, for both routine care and alternative therapy.
Trupanion is one of the few providers to offer direct billing.
|Monthly Costs||Starts at $59.21 for dogs and $32.41 for cats|
|Coverage||90 percent reimbursement after deductible|
|Deductible||Ranges from $0 to $1,000 per incident depending on the plan|
Hartville Pet Insurance
Crum + Forster underwrites Hartville pet insurance in New Jersey, and both companies have an A+ rating from the BBB.
Starting rates are some of the lowest in the industry, and plans from Hartville are fully customizable, including the option to choose your deductible, coverage cap, and reimbursement rate to best accommodate your budget.
They cover dog insurance as well as cat insurance over the age of eight weeks to 14 years old.
Policyholders can submit claims in several ways, including the company’s convenient online portal.
According to customer reviews, claims are paid out quickly, generally within one week, and the company’s claims process is straightforward.
Using the information above, you should have a thorough understanding of what to look for in a pet insurance provider and a good start on finding the best pet insurance in New Jersey.
|Monthly Costs||Starts at $9.28 for dogs and $9.83 for cats|
|Coverage||70 percent, 80 percent, or 90 percent, depending on the plan|
|Payout Limits||Ranges from $2,500 to unlimited, depending on the plan|
|Deductible||$100, $250, or $500, depending on the plan|
Healthy Paws Pet Insurance
Healthy Paws has an A+ rating from the BBB.
Its starting rates are slightly below national average monthly premiums, and coverage is available to cats and dogs aged eight weeks to 14 years.
Coverage is extensive and includes a long list of conditions and treatments.
Claims can be submitted online or using the company’s mobile app and are typically payouts are processed within ten days.
|Monthly Costs||Starts at $32.83 for dogs and $17.19 for cats|
|Coverage||70 percent to 90 percent reimbursement after deductible depending on the plan|
|Deductible||Ranges from $100 to $500 annually depending on the plan|
Why You Need Pet Insurance In NJ
Insurance policies offer peace of mind for yourself and your loved ones in the event something negatively impacts your family. There are all types of insurance coverages, life, health, auto, home insurance, and even pet insurance coverage.
According to the American Pet Products Association’s 2019-2020 National Pet Owners Survey:
- 63.4% of U.S. Households owned dogs
- 42.7% of U.S. Householdsowned cats
- 5.7% of U.S. Householdsowned birds
- 1.6% of U.S. Households owned horses
Let’s look at a few more statistics concerning pet owners. Let’s look just at dogs and the average visits to a licensed veterinarian, vet expenses, and average vet bills annually. Dogs tallied 2.4 average visits per month, costing an average of $410 per household, totaling out at $253 per dog.
Keeping those numbers in mind, only 1% of Americans own a pet health insurance. With a pet insurance policy, it’s easy to gain access to quality animal health care when illness or injuries strike, without taking an enormous financial hit.
How Pet Insurance Works
Just like human insurance policies, pet insurance policies vary from company and company, each having certain exclusions, annual deductibles, and waiting periods. Depending on your pet needs, you can build a pet insurance policy that covers most of your fur baby’s medical care.
- Hereditary Care: It’s no secret that certain pets are prone to specific hereditary conditions. Chronic conditions and pre-existing conditions may or may not be covered. Hip dysplasia is a common condition for purebred German Shepherds. Pet insurance will typically cover some inherited conditions that show up later in life. Be sure to speak with your agent when discussing specific conditions.
- Accident Care: This plan covers any exam fees, x-rays, treatments, medications, and even surgery. You can buy “accident only” policies that cover emergency care. This is usually a cheaper way to ensure your pets.
- Illness Care: This covers you if your pet gets a GI issue, arthritis, and other illnesses. Illness care usually covers the exam fees and treatment plans your licensed veterinary prescribes.
- Alternative Care: Should you go the alternative medicine route with your pet, make sure your particular pet insurance carrier covers acupuncture and laser therapy, as not all carriers do.
- Preventive Care: Again, different carriers vary on what they will cover under a preventative care plan. Most do not cover teeth cleanings but will cover vaccinations, flea and tick prevention, heartworm prevention, and in some cases, spay/neuter surgeries.
- Behavioral Care: If your pet has an obsessive compulsion or behavior problem, adding on a behavioral care rider could help offset any therapy costs.
What Isn’t Typically Covered Under Pet Insurance
There are a few exceptions to what certain pet carriers will and will not cover. Here’s a shortlist of what usually is not covered:
- Cosmetic Surgery: Plans don’t typically cover cosmetic procedures such as tail docking.
- Pregnancy: Unfortunately most plans do not cover breeding and pregnancy in your pet.
- Pre-existing Conditions: This is any problem or conditions your pet had before your coverage started. Each company has its own policy on pre-existing coverage, some offering waiting periods if no symptoms are present, while others will refuse to cover your pet’s condition. Be sure when gathering pet insurance quotes, read the fine print on the terms of your policy.
Shopping for Pet Insurance in NJ
It’s crucial to do your research when you’re considering buying pet insurance.
There are many providers in New Jersey, and most have a variety of policy options at different rates.
Costs often vary due to the various calculations used between providers, although most consider similar factors during their underwriting process, including the age, breed, health condition of your pet, and the average cost of pet insurance in your state.